A complete listing of our childbirth and parenting classes, including dates, times and locations, can be found in our Classes/Events.
Childbirth Classes are scheduled according to your due date. Programs include:
- Prepared Childbirth - For expectant parents entering the 7th month of pregnancy, meets once weekly for three weeks. A one-day Saturday class is also available.
- Breast Feeding Classes- Lactation education is offered under the hospital’s family-centered maternity program. Breast feeding classes offer discussions for both parents, and include information on maternal nutrition, breast care, positioning of the infant, frequency of feeding, infant nutritional needs, weaning and more. The class meets on the second Friday evening of each month at Kent Hospital. New mothers who are breastfeeding can schedule a private consultation with a lactation consultant. For an appointment, please call (401) 736-BABY (2229). The fee for this class is $20.
- Expectant Parent Reception/Tour - Meet your nurses and tour our Women’s Care Center. Group tours are held the last Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Women's Care Center waiting area. Individual tours can also be arranged by calling (401) 736-BABY (2229) (select prompt #3).
- Big Brother/Big Sister Classes - This class meets one Sunday a month at 4pm for children 2 ½ to 9 years of age to help get them ready for their newborn brother or sister. Topics include sibling rivalry, orientation to the newborn and visiting the hospital.
- Infant Care - Class participants will learn the basics of caring for their new baby. Class contents include bathing, diapering, safe positioning and feeding. The class meets on Saturday afternoons, once monthly.The fee for the class is $20.
- Mothers on Methadone (MOM Program) - A comprehensive educational and support program for expectant and post-partum women receiving methadone maintenance and/or opiates for other medical conditions. More Information
To register for a class, call our scheduling department at (401) 736-1988, Monday through Friday, 7:30am - 8pm, Saturdays 8am - 2pm.
Some classes are free, but most carry a modest fee. Health insurance may cover the cost. Ask your insurer or call (401) 736-BABY (2229). Check or credit card payment is welcome.