What is Interventional Radiology?
Interventional radiology, sometimes called Special Procedures, is an innovative specialty that brings together clinical and imaging-based diagnostic technology to provide patients with minimally invasive therapy. All procedures are performed by board certified vascular interventionalists (physicians with highly specialized training in the use of radiology-guided diagnostic studies and treatments.) They are supported by experienced nurses and technologists sharing in a commitment to clinical excellence and personalized patient care.
What Can I Expect?
Advances in Interventional Radiology have replaced a number of traditional open incision surgeries. As such, they are generally safer for patients because they involve smaller incisions, less pain and shorter recovery times. Every case is specific and the interventionalist will inform you of the risks and possible outcomes of all procedures performed. Procedures are generally performed on an outpatient basis under local anesthesia.
Special Procedures offered at Kent
Angiography with Endovascular Intervention
- Radiofrequency ablation.
- Uterine fibroid embolization.
- Chronic pain.
- Fallopian tube recanalization (female).
- Varicoceles (male).
Liver Disease Treatments
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS).
- Biliary drainage and biliary stent placement.
- Inferior vena cava filter placement (blood clot filters).
- Port-a-caths and feeding tubes.
- Kidney drainage procedures and stone removal.
- Gallbladder or bile duct stone removal.
- Dialysis catheters and maintenance.
- Peripherally inserted central catheters (PICC).
- Abscess drainage.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding embolization.
- Myelogram - A procedure used to help locate a ruptured disc, detect spinal stenosis or, identify a space occupying lesion such as a tumor.
- Paracentesis - A small catheter is inserted with ultrasound guidance to remove fluid from the abdomen.
- Throacentesis - A small catheter is inserted with ultrasound guidance to remove fluid from the chest.
- Vertebroplasty - A treatment to reduce or eliminate the pain caused by spinal fractures related to osteoporosis.