|Staffed by board certified physicians and experienced emergency nurses, Kent's Emergency Department (ED) is the second largest in the state of Rhode Island. Caring for close to 70,000 patients annually, Kent's ED volume ranks among the top 10-percent nationally. Its patient rapid assessment model has dramatically reduced waiting time and overall length of visit has resulted in patient satisfaction scores that rank Kent's ED as one of the best performing in the nation, in the area of patient satisfaction and experience of care.
Kent's ED offers 24- hour-a-day comprehensive, critical care for all types of medical problems in a state-of-the-art facility backed by the latest clinical information and diagnostic systems. Kent was the first and is the only hospital in the state to eliminate the practice of ambulance diversion.
The Kent Emergency Department offers:
- Increased space and capacity to respond to community growth and demand
- Enhanced patient confidentiality, comfort and privacy
- Improved patient flow and decreased waiting times
- Enlarged waiting areas and improved space for families to visit with patients
- New grade level ambulance entrance with overhead shelter for multiple arriving EMS Units
- Enlarged patient care spaces-45 dedicated hard-walled treatment bays
- Dedicated isolation and behavior health care rooms
- State-of-the-art decontamination facility & a mobile unit for additional capacity
- New separate walk-in entrance and registration areas
- Dedicated emergency pediatric unit; waiting area and treatment rooms staffed by experienced pediatric specialty doctors and nurses
- Digital radiology to enhance diagnostic services and speed diagnoses
- A design that can accommodate up to 90,000 patients annually
Patient Rapid Assessment
The patient rapid assessment model has dramatically reduced waiting time and in many instances it has been virtually eliminated. In the past, the average wait time to be seen when coming to the ED was two hours, while the entire patient visit averaged six hours. Today, with this new model of care, the average wait time is less than 30 minutes. We work hard to give fast, quality care and want you to have an excellent emergency care expereience.
This has been accomplished by establishing a more streamlined patient journey. A patient arrives at Kent and walks into the ED guest lobby and is greeted by a friendly patient advocate (a new role implemented in the new model) and escorted back into the treatment area to the intake booth.
From here a host of activities take place quickly including registration, bed assignment, nurse/provider interaction, lab work, x-rays, etc. Upon completion of testing a final determination is made on discharge or admission. If being discharged, the patient is given instructions, escorted to exit registration and given any necessary prescriptions.
The rapid assessment model is currently in place from 8 a.m. through 1 a.m. every day.
Emergency Hyperbaric Medicine